Student Volunteer Army
1. This policy sets out how the Student Volunteer Army Charitable Trust will collect, use, disclose and protect your personal information.
2. All personal information is held in accordance with the requirements of both the New Zealand and Australian Privacy Acts (New Zealand Privacy Act 2020 and Australian Privacy Act 1988).
3. By using our Website, our App or our Services, you are deemed to have accepted the terms set out in this Policy.
DEFINITIONS AND INTERPRETATION
4. In this Policy:
App means the Student Volunteer Army Charitable Trust application owned, licenced and/or operated by us and/or any third parties on our behalf, whether currently existing or developed in the future;
Non-Identifiable Information means data that cannot be used on its own to trace or identify an individual;
Personal Information means information about an identifiable individual (a natural person);
School Student means any person within years 1 to 13 who attends any school in New Zealand;
Services means all services we provide from time to time and includes our information sharing, information viewing, back office, support and training services and software, and the Website.
University Student means any person who is a student at any tertiary institute in New Zealand;
Website means the website at the domain “www.sva.org.nz” or any other website operated by us; and
we, us or our means Student Volunteer Army Charitable Trust and its associated persons.
PERSONAL INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECT
5. We may collect personal information and non-identifiable information from you. In the case of:
5.1 School Students, we may collect information including but not limited to your name, age, email address, telephone numbers, nationality, and the name of the School you attend; and
5.2 University Students, we may collect information including but not limited to your student name, student ID number, age, email address, telephone numbers, nationality, degree, major or hall of residence and the name of the University you attend.
6. We may collect information under clause 5 when you use the App, attend a Student Volunteer Army Charitable Trust event, subscribe to our publications or otherwise communicate and correspond with us.
7. We may collect personal information from the following third parties:
7.1 School Kit (Ministry of Done Ltd);
7.2 Custom D Ltd; and
7.3 in the case of School Students, your school key teacher.
8. The personal information we collect under clause 7 will be limited to:
8.2 date of birth;
8.4 drivers license number;
8.5 email address;
8.6 phone number;
8.7 school or university name; and
8.8 emergency contact person’s details.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
9. We may use your personal information to:
9.1 register your membership;
9.2 verify your identity;
9.3 sign you into events in order to keep a record of events attended and hours volunteered for the purposes of your Co Curricular Record;
9.4 inform you of our events or club activities, including contacting you electronically (e.g. by the App, by text or email for this purpose);
9.5 gather information for an event you have signed up for in order to make the event more enjoyable for you including but not limited to being able to cater to your dietary requirements;
9.6 ensure your safety at events including being aware of your specific medical requirements and using your contact details to ensure you are safe;
9.7 improve the services and products that we provide to you, through surveys or other feedback options;
9.8 respond to communications from you;
9.9 conduct research and produce statistical analysis relating to the demographics of our members;
9.10 protect and/or enforce our legal rights and interests, including defending any claim,
or for any other purpose authorised by you or the Act.
10. We only use the personal information we collect for the purposes specified above and will only retain your personal information for as long as we need it to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected or as otherwise required by law.
11. You will receive emails from us unless you opt-out of receiving them. You may opt-out at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions provided in each email.
12. Where you use App, you will receive push notifications unless you opt-out of receiving them. You may opt-out at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions provided in the App.
DISCLOSING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
13. We will not disclose your personal information to third parties without your express consent.
13.1. An external organisation who is listing projects on the SVA app may see your first name and email address and contact you directly regarding their event if you have signed up to that event directly.
14. We may disclose non-identifiable information to:
14.1 our research partners, the NZ Ministry Foreign Affairs and Trade for the recording of NZ’s contribution to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, International Association of Volunteering Effort and Volunteering New Zealand for the purposes of understanding and advancing volunteerism.
14.2 any person to whom we are required by law to disclose that information; or
14.3 any other person authorised by you.
ACCESSING AND CORRECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
15. You have the right to access your personal information and to request a correction to your personal information if you believe it is wrong by emailing us at email@example.com.Your email should provide evidence of who you are and set out the details of your request (e.g. the personal information, or the correction, that you are requesting). We will respond to all legitimate requests within a reasonable time period.
16. We may charge you our reasonable costs of providing to you copies of your personal information or correcting that information.
PROTECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
17. We will use all reasonable security safeguards that are appropriate in the circumstances to keep your personal information safe and secure from unauthorised access, use, disclosure, alteration or destruction.
18. While we take reasonable steps to maintain secure internet connections, if you provide us with personal information over the internet, the provision of that information is at your own risk.
WHERE YOU DON’T PROVIDE YOUR INFORMATION
21. We reserve the right to deny your involvement in our events where you refuse to provide us with your personal information.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
HOW YOU CAN CONTACT US
23. For further information about this Policy, our privacy practices, or to make a request or complaint, please contact us using the details set out below:
Kuna Santhrasergaran, Head of Systems and Technology
Level 37, PwC Tower, Level 27/15 Customs Street West, CBD, Auckland 1010
Phone: 0800 005 902
24. When making a request or complaint, please include your name, email address and/or telephone number and clearly describe your request or complaint. We will acknowledge your communication and may ask you to verify your identity.
25. We will respond to you regarding your request or complaint within a reasonable period of time. If you think that we have failed to respond to your request or resolve the complaint satisfactorily, we will provide you with information about the further steps you can take.